Brownsville, Brooklyn fire forces residents out of homes

February 18, 2014 11:05:24 AM PST
Dozens of people were forced out of their homes in Brooklyn Monday night after a fire tore through their apartment building.

The fire happened this afternoon in a 4-story building on Saratoga Avenue in Brownsville.

Officials say the fire started by a space heater placed too close to flammable materials. It quickly spread throughout the 35-unit building.

A vacate order was placed on apartments 1A, 2A, 3C, 3B, and 3D and the cellar.

Con-Ed was able to re-energize the B wing and some of those residents will be allowed back home.

Red Cross is providing housing for 25 residents tonight, some of whom are children.

Fortunately no one was hurt in the blaze.