California family surprised with Christmas gifts after losing everything in fire

EMBED </>More Videos

The Mejia family lost nearly everything when a fire tore through their Monrovia apartment last week, just days before Christmas.

The Mejia family lost nearly everything when a fire tore through their Monrovia apartment last week, just days before Christmas.

But thanks to the Monrovia Fire Department and the Spark of Love toy drive, the holiday is not lost for the family of five.

Firefighters presented the Mejias with food for Christmas dinner and toys for their younger daughter and son.

"It does mean a lot to me that the community has done this and wants to help. It seems surreal to me still. We're still doing this day-by day," mother Victoria Mejia said.

The Mejia's older daughter, Evelyn, is a UC Irvine student. She received a gift certificate for a new laptop because hers was destroyed in the fire. Evelyn also lost her glasses to the flames.

When the firefighters heard Evelyn couldn't see, they threw in one more surprise. They got her a free exam and glasses from a Monrovia optometrist.

When the fire started, Evelyn was the only one home. She jumped from the second story window. Neighbors came to the rescue with mattresses to cushion the fall.

"I knew I had to jump anyway. There was no way of getting out, but the mattress helped me not break my ankle. I just bruised it," Evelyn said.

The Mejia's are grateful for the generosity of the fire department and the community members who donated toys, but most of all, they're celebrating being together, knowing Evelyn is lucky to be alive.

"I went yesterday to see what was left and there's not much left, but I look at her (Evelyn) and I'm okay," Victoria said.


Related Topics:
familyspark of loveholidaytoyschristmasnationalu.s. & worldMonrovia
(Copyright ©2017 KABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments