ARMONK, N.Y. (WABC) --This week in neighborhood eats, a restaurant that serves up American favorites in Westchester County.
One of the dishes, braised short ribs that will melt in your mouth.
Also good is the veal meatloaf or filet an enormous fish or bake massive cinnamon rolls.
All of which you'll find at "The Beehive" in Armonk.
The restaurant is a family affair which is why if feels like home.
The original Beehive in Mt Vernon, and the Modroukas family wanted to continue the tradition in Armonk.
So you can begin with breakfast...move on to lunch...and then return for dinner.
Beehive Armonk Braised Short Rib Recipe
By: Executive Chef Peter Modroukas
Ingredients (serves 6):
*(to make large batch of spice mix add 4 tbsps ground peppercorn, 2 Tbsp each of ground bay leaf, mace, nutmeg, paprika, thyme, cumin, 1 Tbsp each of ground clove, allspice, cinnamon, savory). Great for use on all roasts (beef, pork, duckling, goose)
1. Salt and pepper the short ribs. Then lightly dust with Chef Peter's Ground Spice Mix and thyme.
2. Heat skillet on stove with EVOO. If you don't have large enough skillet, sear the short ribs with bone side up in batches until golden brown.
3. Remove from skillet and place in baking or roasting pan that is at least 3" in height and sprinkle with flour.
4. Place the short ribs into a 425 degree oven for 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, in the skillet used to brown the short ribs, add aromatics and sautee on medium heat. Deglace the pan with red wine and then add tomato paste and beef stock and cook on low heat for 20 minutes.
6. After short ribs have been cooking for 30 minutes, drain any oil or fat that has accumulated in the baking dish and add the red wine, mirepoix, stock over the short ribs. Cover and seal with aluminum foil and braise for 2.5 hours or until tender (basting and adding additional beef stock as needed).
7. Serve with Puree Yukon Gold Whipped Potato and serve with buttered baby carrots & haricot vert.