Woman dies after diet pills bought online 'burned her from within'

21-year-old Eloise Aimee Parry died after consuming diet pills she purchased online. (West Mercia Police)

A British woman died from diet pills she purchased online that contained a toxic ingredient.

Eloise Aimee Parry, 21, died on April 12 after accidentally overdosing on diet pills containing the ingredient dinitrophenol, or DNP, according to Yahoo! Health. Fiona Parry, Eloise's mother, said that her daughter took eight tablets of the substance before she complained about not feeling well.

"When she started to feel unwell, she drove herself to hospital and walked into A&E," Fiona said in a statement published by West Mercia police. "She explained what she had taken and there was no great panic as she was still completely lucid and with it."

"At this point she still seemed to be okay," Fiona said. "That all changed when the toxicity report came back and it was clear how dire her situation was. The drug was in her system, there was no anti-dote [sic], two tablets was a lethal dose -- and she had taken eight."

Fiona then says that doctors did everything they could to save her daughter, but they were fighting a losing battle, as the girl's insides were "literally burning up from within."

"They never stood a chance of saving her. She burned and crashed," Fiona said in her statement.

Police are currently investigating Eloise's death and warning people the health risks and dangers about purchasing diet pills on the internet. More than 60 people across the globe have died after taking DNP, Yahoo! Health reports.


Related Topics:
healthdietdietingu.s. & world