RAMAPO, New York (WABC) --A 10-year-old boy from Ramapo was sent to the emergency room after apparently overdosing on cannabis-infused sour gummy candy.
Police were called to the emergency room at Good Samaritan Hospital around 5:30 p.m. Sunday.
The child's father, 37-year-old Ephraim Zagelbaum, said he permitted the boy to sit alone in the family's car. A package of "pink lemonade belts" infused with cannabis was also in the vehicle, and authorities said the boy ate the candy and suffered the effects from the THC in his body.
"He did get sick to his stomach, he was nervous," Ramapo police Detective Lieutenant Mark Emma said. "His psychological issues, he may have not understanding what's going on in his brain, in his body."
He was treated and released, while Zagelbaum, of Spring Valley, was arrested and charged with endangering the welfare of a child. He was released on his own recognizance.
"How the candy got into the car, we're still looking into it," Emma said. "The father indicated he had lent the car to a friend and the friend had left it in the car."
Officials said the candy will be used as evidence for testing, and it's possible additional possession charges will be filed. It is unclear if there was a prescription.
"That's the part that we are still looking into," Emma said. "If, in fact, this friend does have a proper prescription, if it's his, if it's somebody else's. We're still looking at that end of it."
Anyone with additional information is urged to contact police.