UPPER EAST SIDE, Manhattan (WABC) --Three students are in custody, and two are facing charges, after a loaded gun was brought to a public school on the Upper East Side of Manhattan Monday, sources told Eyewitness News.
The incident happened at P.S. 169 (Robert F. Kennedy School) on East 88th Street. The school has students in grades K-12.
Monday night, in an unmarked police car, officers drove the juvenile suspects to court. One of them is just 13 years old and accused of felony weapons charges after bringing a loaded gun to school.
"I didn't expect at this age, in the middle of the school day," a parent said.
Parents picking kids up from after school programs Monday evening couldn't believe their ears.
It was just after lunchtime at Robert F. Kennedy School, which by day caters to special needs kids from 1st through 12th grade.
Cops say a 13-year-old boy threatened a female student with a 22 caliber revolver. She told an administrator, who called police.
They arrived to find the loaded gun in the possession of another teen. Yet another student was allegedly holding a box of bullets.
"We are finding that a lot of 13-year-olds are bringing weapons to schools," said Gregory Floyd, Union representing NYPD school security officers.
Floyd says these disturbing cases are on the rise, and three of the last four have been at schools like this one, with no metal detectors.
"We are fortunate that we haven't had a fatality, we haven't had anybody shot or injured in the schools. This just shows that there is a need for metal detectors, not a need to decrease metal detectors," Floyd said.
"This incident is deeply alarming," the Department of Education said in a statement. "Nothing is more important than the safety of all students and staff and there is zero tolerance for weapons of any kind."
The Department of Education issued a statement Monday afternoon, saying:
"This incident is deeply alarming and we are working closely with the NYPD as they investigate this extremely disturbing report. Nothing is more important than the safety of all students and staff and there is zero tolerance for weapons of any kind. Students and staff are safe and no injuries were sustained. Parents will be notified and we are providing ongoing supports to the school community."
School officials believe the 13-year-old initially got the gun inside the school by placing it in his hoodie, avoiding detection.
The 13-year-old boy, a Bronx resident, is charged with criminal possession of a weapon in the 2nd degree and menacing in the 2nd degree.
A 15-year-old boy is charged with two counts of criminal possession of a weapon.
The third teen has not yet been charged. The two teens charged so far are being charged as juveniles.