14-year-old Texas girl electrocuted when cell phone drops in bathtub

EMBED </>More Videos

Lori Stokes reports on the death of a teenager who was electrocuted by her phone in the bathtub.

A 14-year-old girl died in New Mexico over the weekend after her charging cellphone apparently fell into a bathtub.

The family of Madison Coe said the teen was electrocuted when she was in a bathtub at her father's home in Lovington, New Mexico, Sunday, according to KCBD.

The girl's mother and grandmother, who live in Lubbock, Texas, said she either plugged her cellphone in or simply grabbed her phone that was already plugged in to a bathroom outlet.

"There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone," said Donna O'Guinn, the girl's grandmother. "And that was just very obvious that that's what had happened."

Since her death, her family is turning to Facebook to inform people of the dangers involving electrical appliances that aren't waterproof.

A memorial fund has been set up that will pay for funeral costs. That fund can be found here.

Related Topics:
texas newschild deathelectrocutioncellphone
(Copyright ©2017 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.)