Croton-on-Hudson house evacuated due to carbon monoxide leak

EMBED </>More Videos

Marcus Solis has the latest

Firefighters evacuated a home in Croton-on-Hudson overnight Wednesday after a carbon monoxide leak.

Firefighters responded to a home on Ridge Road just after midnight and found elevated CO levels throughout the two-and-a-half-story home.

The residents, who were in bed at the time, were evacuated.

Kevin Kidder's house has four high-tech alarms that detect for both smoke and carbon monoxide, even providing the level of parts per million.

"Honestly, I think it saved our lives," he said. "I see the nest smoke alarm go off, and it says carbon monoxide detected in the entryway, which is down here in the hallway.

He quickly realized it was time to get his wife and daughter out.

"After about 10 minutes, it said carbon monoxide detected upstairs," he said. "So then I woke everybody up, and I called the police, and I got us out of the house."

The leak was reportedly caused by faulty valve in the gas furnace, which firefighters shut down. The house was aired out, and the family was allowed to return home.

"Scary, I thought we were going to be one of those people on the news," wife Gina Kidder said. "You know, where a story happens and you say, 'How could that happen?' And then wow, it's you."

Officials urged the public to properly install working carbon monoxide detectors. Without them, the odorless, colorless deadly gas cannot be detected.
Related Topics:
newsnew york statewestchester countycarbon monoxideCroton-On-Hudson
(Copyright ©2017 WABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments