4th suspect arrested, charged in Brooklyn Bridge cop assaults

EMBED </>More Videos

Marcus Solis live in Lower Manhattan (WABC)

Police have arrested and charged a fourth suspect in the Brooklyn Bridge assault on two police officers during protests last week.

Twenty-nine-year-old Cindy Gorn, who police dubbed "Female Suspect No. 2," surrendered to the Fifth Precinct station house at 12:30 p.m. Saturday. She is charged with resisting arrest, second-degree obstructing governmental administration and second-degree riot.

The suspect depicted as "male suspect No. 4" was arrested Saturday morning. Zachary Campbell, 32, of Brooklyn, was charged with resisting arrest, second-degree obstructing governmental administration and second-degree riot.

Meanwhile, the second suspect arrested was arraigned Saturday morning. Maria Garcia, 36, of Brooklyn is facing charges of resisting arrest, obstructing governmental administration and rioting. She was arraigned and given $1,000 credit card bond.

The December 13 incident occurred at the end of a massive march protesting the grand jury decision not to indict a police officer in the apparent chokehold death of Eric Garner.

Garcia's attorney said on Saturday that she was not at the bridge at the time and that police misidentified her because she is the wife of a Campbell. According to her attorney, Campbell and Garcia are "legally married, but separated."

Police said the first suspect, identified as 43-year-old Robert Murray, walked into the 5th Precinct on Elizabeth Street and surrendered around 8 a.m. Thursday. Sources told Eyewitness News that he is one of the main suspects police were looking for, initially identified only as "male suspect number 3," who allegedly punched one of the officers.

Murray is charged with first-degree riot, second-degree assault, obstructing governmental administration, resisting arrest and third-degree escape.

New York City Mayor de Blasio said the arrests make clear the city's commitment for consequences for the protesters.

"What I have said consistently to all those who protest, I respect them for making their voices heard in a democracy, but they also have to take responsibility for those in their midst, even the smallest minority, anyone who might do violence of any kind, anyone who might do violence against the police," he said. "They have to work actively to stop that."

De Blasio met with protest leaders, members of the Justice League, at City Hall on Friday.

"I made very clear that we cannot accept any violence against our police officers or against anyone," de Blasio said after the meeting. "And they were very quick to affirm that they were appalled equally by the events on Saturday night."

The protesters echoed his sentiments.

"We've expressed to the mayor that there's a sense of urgency in the community and a real crisis in confidence in not just the NYPD, but the entire criminal justice system," Justice League Founder Carmen Perez said. "The meeting was productive."

The Justice League held a small protest Monday outside the mayor's home, Gracie Mansion, and also has organized larger events across the city since a Staten Island grand jury declined to indict a police officer for the chokehold death of Eric Garner over the summer.

A police union criticized de Blasio for meeting with the protesters in light of the violence, but de Blasio reiterated that attacks on police officers are completely unacceptable.

Earlier in the week, Bratton had released photos of four men and three women wanted in the Brooklyn Bridge incident. The reward for information leading to arrests and convictions stands at $25,000.

Police say lieutenants Patrick Sullivan and Phillip Chan were trying to arrest 29-year-old Baruch College professor Eric Linkser, who they say resisted arrested after attempting to toss a 50-pound garbage can from the elevated walkway at officers on the roadway below. He also allegedly tried to punch one of the officers, but missed.

Protesters allegedly came to Linkser's defense and attacked the officers. During the latter part of the incident, police say Murray pulled the officers down to the ground and twice punched Chan.

Both officers were treated and released, one who suffered a broken nose.

On Monday night, there was a thank you from Bratton to whoever posted video of the incident on YouTube.

Investigators are also looking to speak with nine witnesses seen in the video.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Anyone with information regarding the suspects, witnesses or the incident in general, is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477)
Related Topics:
eric garnerprotestNew York CityDowntown
(Copyright ©2018 WABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.)