HARLEM (WABC) --A nitric acid spill at a Manhattan high school left one person injured and prompted an evacuation Friday morning.
The spill happened in the first floor hallway of the Bread and Roses Integrated Arts High School on Harlem Edgecombe Avenue, near on West 136th Street, in Harlem. The acid was being discarded at the time.
The school's fire safety staffer suffered burns to his legs and was taken to the hospital.
A floor tile was also damaged and will need to be replaced.
No students were injured, but the school was evacuated as a precaution. Students returned to class around 11 a.m.
The matter is under investigation.
The acid was being discarded at the time of the spill. The spill was cleaned up and one employee treated.