NEW YORK (WABC) --Several people are without power after a manhole fire earlier Tuesday.
According to Con Ed, 165 customers in the area are without power, including apartments and businesses. Power should be restored by 11 p.m., the utility said.
Fifty-Seventh Street in Midtown New York reopened after a manhole fire during rush hour Tuesday. The fire started around 2:40 p.m., and was between Second and Third avenues. The street was blocked between Park and Second avenues as smoke and flames come out of the hole.
The manhole fire was caused by a problem with some underground cables which are being replaced, according to Con Ed.
The New York City Fire Department said there were some elevated carbon monoxide levels in the basements of surrounding buildings, but there were no evacuations or injuries. The department monitored levels to make sure they didn't rise.