Hoverboard catches fire in California home

EMBED </>More Videos

A Brentwood family is lucky no one got hurt after a hoverboard that was a Christmas present started a fire. (KGO-TV)

A family is lucky no one got hurt after a hoverboard that was a present started a fire.

The family says they had just charged the hoverboard when a girl stood on it. The machine began popping and burst into flames.

Family members managed to drag it away and pour water on it outside. Flames left smoke damage on a wall.

No one was hurt, but this incident is just the latest in a string of hoverboard fires across the country.

An older sister says their mother had heard about problems with the hoverboards, but ordered two of them off Amazon anyway. The family now says there needs to be more regulation of the product.

There have now been 11 hoverboard fires reported in 10 states. Amazon has pulled the product from its website and now the federal government is investigating them. The family plans to throw the other hoverboard in the trash.

Related Topics:
technologytechnologyhoverboardfirebuzzworthyshoppingchristmasgiftsholidayBrentwood
(Copyright ©2017 KGO-TV. All Rights Reserved.)