1 child dead, another critical after apparent CO poisoning in Linden

LINDEN, New Jersey (WABC) -- One child has died, and another is in critical condition after an apparent carbon monoxide poisoning incident in Linden Tuesday.

Firefighters were called to the scene on Passaic Avenue at 7:30 a.m. after reports of difficulty breathing.

Two children were found in distress in a bedroom, according to Linden Fire Chief Joseph Dooley. Along with their mother, Sepiatu Abu, 45, the two were taken to hospitals.

Nine-year-old Oshiobugie Asekomhe was pronounced dead at Trinitas Hospital and his 10-year-old sister, Emike Asekomhe, is in extremely critical condition at Newark Beth Israel Hospital. Oshiobugie was a third-grader at School No. 4 in Linden.

City officials said it appears to be accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.

Firefighters found high levels of carbon monoxide in the bedroom where the children were found.

The carbon monoxide leak was possibly caused by improper venting of fumes from the furnace. The home was aired out.

There was also a carbon monoxide detector in the house but it appeared to be not working, according to the Linden Police Department.

An investigation is under way.

Linden School Superintendent Danny A. Robertozzi said in a statement that the "Linden Public School community is deeply saddened by this tragedy." It said grief counselors and support would be available this week at the school.
Copyright © 2019 WABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.