Bronx carbon monoxide leak sends 13 to the hospital

MELROSE, Bronx (WABC) -- More than a dozen people have been sent to the hospital after a Bronx apartment building was evacuated following a carbon monoxide leak.

FDNY reports the cause of the elevated CO readings was due to a gas leak from a faulty furnace. The building is located on 232 East 165th Street in the Melrose section.

The gas was turned off as crews were in the process of ventilating the building.

A total of 13 people were sent to the hospital. One patient is critical, and the remaining 12 are stable.

The building is a five-story multiple dwelling with 14 residential units.
Copyright © 2019 WABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.