Armed standoff ends in New Jersey, schools closed for day

GLOUCESTER TOWNSHIP, New Jersey (WABC) -- A 12-hours-long standoff with an armed man in New Jersey has ended with an adult male taken into custody.

The dramatic scene unfolded on Hampshire Road in Gloucester Township. Police said the man was injured, but not by law enforcement.

A woman was also taken into custody for questioning, though police would not say whether she was a victim or a suspect.

The standoff began Wednesday night on Hampshire Road, when authorities say the suspect began firing shots at police. Officers reportedly did not return fire.
EMBED More News Videos

Watch video from Chopper 6 over a police standoff in Gloucester Twp., NJ on January 11, 2018.

All Gloucester Township public schools and the Black Horse Pike Regional School District, which includes Highland Regional High School, Timber Creek Regional High School and Triton Regional High School, canceled classes for Thursday. The Erial Community Church Christian School was also closed.

"Children were walking through where we had a gentleman firing at police officers," Gloucester Township Police Chief Harry Earle said. "It was a dangerous condition that we didn't want children or anyone exposed to."

Authorities had set up a staging area at Timber Creek Regional High School.
EMBED More News Videos

Standoff in Gloucester Township, New Jersey. Jeannette Reyes reports during Action News Mornings on January 11, 2018.

Residents were ordered to shelter in place during the standoff, but approximately 18 residents were evacuated from the scene. The shelter in place was lifted around 9:30 a.m.

Gloucester Township police received reports of shots fired around 8 p.m., and the incident escalated to a barricade situation.
EMBED More News Videos

Barricade situation in Gloucester Township. Jeannette Reyes reports during Action News Mornings on January 11, 2018.

Authorities said the suspect fired multiple shots at officers and armored vehicles.

"The armored rescue vehicle of the Gloucester Township Police Department, our information is it has been struck numerous times with officers directly inside," Earle said.

Hours into the standoff, police used a BearCat armored vehicle to knock down the suspect's front door. They sent a robot inside the home and began negotiating with the suspect on the phone. It was not long after that the standoff came to an end.

Police say weapons were recovered in the home. No officers were injured during the standoff.

Police are still working to gather what sparked the incident.

* More New Jersey news
* Send us a news tip
* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts
Copyright © 2021 WABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.