Boy critically injured after fire starts in kitchen of Bronx apartment

BRONX, New York (WABC) -- A 7-year-old boy was critically injured in a second alarm fire that tore through a building in the Bronx Tuesday night.

The fire started in the kitchen of the home on Findlay Avenue just before 9 p.m.

Video from Citizen App showed flames shooting from the apartment building.
EMBED More News Videos

Fire officials say a two-alarm fire broke out on the third floor of three-story apartment building on Findlay Avenue just before 9 p.m.


The boy suffered severe burns and smoke inhalation and was rushed to Bronx Lebanon Hospital in critical condition.

Eight children and an adult were in the apartment at the time of the fire. None of the others was hurt.

A firefighter was treated at the scene.

FDNY Fire Marshals deemed the fire accidental, caused by an electrical issue with the refrigerator.

They said a smoke alarm was present and activated.

RELATED | 5 injured, including firefighter, in Bronx apartment fire
EMBED More News Videos

Joe Torres reports on the fire that caused a major scare for the many tenants of the Mitchel Houses.



----------
* More Bronx news
* Send us a news tip
* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts
* Follow us on YouTube
Submit a News Tip
Copyright © 2021 WABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.