Over 200 students evacuated after Columbia University dorm fire

MORNINGSIDE HEIGHTS, Manhattan (WABC) -- About 200 students at Columbia University were forced out of their dorms after a fire.

The flames broke out shortly after 11 p.m. Wednesday in a third floor dorm room at Ruggles Hall. Heavy smoke quickly spread throughout the eight story building.

Students are staying in nearby dorms until they are allowed back in.

The cause of the fire has been deemed accidental.
Copyright © 2022 WABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.