Dozens displaced after fire caused by food left on stove in Bronx building

EMBED </>More Videos

Candace McCowan reports on the fire from the Bronx.

Firefighters battled a 3-alarm fire at a building in the Bronx that displaced dozens of residents.

The fire broke out just before 8 p.m. Monday inside a five-story building on St. Mary's Street in the Mott Haven section.

There was a 911 call for food left on a stove. By the time firefighters arrived, there was a stove fire that reached into the cockloft.

More than 100 firefighters responded to the scene, and extinguished the blaze just after 10 p.m. There was extensive damage to the top floor.

Three firefighters suffered minor injuries.

Residents were able to escape the building without injury.

The FDNY says 32 adults and 16 children were displaced.

The Red Cross is assisting those residents.

* More Bronx news
* Send us a news tip
* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts
Related Topics:
apartment firefireBronxMott HavenNew York City
(Copyright ©2019 WABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.)