Want to make breakfast in bed for your loved one on Valentine's Day?
Shannon Garcia, a registered dietitian who runs the Kiss in the Kitchen Blog, visited Eyewitness News to show us some treats for a perfect, healthy feast.
KISS IN THE KITCHEN'S THREE INGREDIENT BANANA PANCAKES
1 large banana
2 large eggs
2 tsp Thrive Algae Oil (or coconut or avocado oil)
1/8 tsp baking powder, if desired
1. Mash banana with a fork in 2 cup measuring cup or medium sized bowl.
2. Add 2 eggs, oil and mix well until all ingredients are mixed and almost frothy.
3. Add baking powder if desired.
4. Heat skillet on medium-high and add about 2-3 Tbsp of batter (use a small ladle or 1/4 cup measuring cup filled a little more than halfway).
5. The batter should sizzle immediately. Flip each pancake gently after 1 minute and cook for 1 more minute. Remove carefully and enjoy while warm!
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup coconut oil, canola oil or melted butter
1/4 cup Truvia Brown Sugar Blend
3/4 cup lowfat buttermilk
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups peeled and diced fresh peaches
3 Tbsp quick-cooking oats
2 Tbsp white whole wheat flour
2 Tbsp Truvia Brown Sugar Blend
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp firm butter
1. For streusel, in medium bowl, mix flour, oats, Truvia Brown Sugar Blend and cinnamon. Cut in firm butter, using pastry blender or fork, until crumbly.
2. For muffins, heat oven to 400F. Line 12 medium muffin cups with paper liners or grease with butter or shortening. Make Oat-Streusel Topping; set aside.
3. Combine egg, oil Truvia Brown Sugar Blend, and buttermilk in medium mixing bowl.
4. Mix flour, soda, cinnamon and salt in small bowl. Add to mixture in large bowl. Fold in peaches. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups; sprinkle with Oat-Streusel Topping.
5. Bake 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
*This muffin has 150 calories and 6 grams of sugar per serving as compared to the full sugar version which has 190 calories and 15 grams of sugar per serving.
KISS STUFFED MEDJOOL DATES
(Quantities are not included because you can make 1 stuffed date or 30 stuffed dates- it's up to you!)
Medjool dates, fresh
Almond butter or peanut butter
Mini chocolate chips
1. Gently slice open the Medjool date with a butter knife and remove pit.
2. Stuff Medjool date with approximately 1 tsp of your favorite nut butter.
3. Sprinkle a few chocolate chips or chocolate drizzle on top and try to share with someone else.
Easy, healthy Valentine's Day breakfast from Kiss in the Kitchen