Police officers taken to hospital after shots fired in Jersey City

JERSEY CITY, New Jersey (WABC) -- Three Jersey City police officers ended up in the hospital as a precaution after an investigation led to shots being fired.

The officers were taken to Jersey City Medical Center following the incident on Rutgers Avenue. They suffered minor injuries, officials said.

Authorities say the officers were responding to report of possible drug activity in the area.

Three police officers responded, including two officers on a nearby antiviolence walking post at the time.

As officers approached the suspect at Rutgers and McAdoo Avenue, he apparently pulled out a gun. Police are only saying at this time that a struggle ensued and the gun was discharged. No additional details are being released.

"I left my building, it was maybe 30 minutes. Everything was clear and peaceful but by the time I came back around from the pharmacy, I see yellow tape, helicopters. I heard the sirens coming. I had no idea the signs were coming here, to where we live," Nadine Faison said.

"It was about four cops going this way, going this way, about four or five cops. And cops going this way, towards Ocean and Rutgers Avenue,"eyewitness Phillip L. Willis said.

Three officers were taken to the hospital to get checked out for minor injuries from the struggle, but none of them were struck by a bullet.

The suspect identified as Jamel Bolden, 32, was arrested. He is expected to be charged with resisting arrest among other charges.

The incident comes weeks after two attackers killed four people, including a police officer, in Jersey City.

"They (police) are on edge, you know what I'm saying. They're waiting for the next big thing. I guess this was it," Willis said.

"Very scared, especially what we experienced two weeks ago, it was very unnerving and very frightening," Faison said.

* More New Jersey news
* Send us a news tip
* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts
* Follow us on YouTube
Copyright © 2022 WABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.