Malfunctioning power strip caused fire that killed 5 kids in Union City

A charred window is seen at the site of Friday's house fire that left five children dead, Tuesday, July 17, 2018, in Union City, N.J. ((AP Photo/Julio Cortez))

Federal investigators say a malfunctioning power strip sparked a New Jersey house fire that killed five children.

The report from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives also concludes the July 13 fire in Union City was an accident.

The report made public Thursday by Hudson County prosecutors states the power strip started sparking after an electrical failure, which ignited nearby flammable materials in a first-floor apartment at the home.

The children - 2-year-old Jason Gonzalez, 4-year-old Shamira Lopez, 5-year-old Mayli Wood, 7-year-old Christian Josue Mendez and 13-year-old Jose Felipe Tejada - died from injuries suffered in the fire. They were all asleep in a third-floor apartment when the fire broke out.

Officials have said four of the children were siblings, while the fifth was a relative. A man and a woman were also injured in the fire.

----------
* More New Jersey news
* Send us a news tip
* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts
*Follow us on YouTube
*
Related Topics:
fire deathchild killednew jersey newsUnion CityHudson County
(Copyright ©2018 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)