2 dead after shooting at Home Depot store in Manhattan

NEW YORK (WABC) -- Two people are dead after what police say was a murder-suicide at a Home Depot store in Manhattan Sunday.

Hysteria broke out inside the store on West 23rd Street and 6th Avenue when a man walked in and opened fire in the lighting department.

Shoppers were forced to drop everything while some ran out the front doors and 100 others followed employees to a back area. One man left his car, keys, jacket and child's shoes in the store while his family ran to safety.

"A couple of Home Depot employees said 'follow us, follow us' and they were incredible," said shopper Gary Kane, "and they gathered us and took all of us out - some back exit."

Employees tell Eyewitness News that the shooter is an employee who shot his supervisor before turning the gun on himself. Both men died.

Police identified the man who shot himself as 31-year-old Calvin Esdaile of Brooklyn. The other man was identified as 38-year-old Moctar Sy of the Bronx.

Police say Esdaile entered the store around 2:45 p.m. They say he exchanged words with Sy and then pulled out a gun, shooting Sy in the abdomen and chest.

Police say the gunman then shot himself in the head. It remained unclear Monday what the argument was about.

"One gentleman was removed to Bellevue Hospital with three gunshot wounds, the other gentleman is here with one gunshot wound," said NYPD Captain Steven Wren.

Employees say the supervisor is a recently married immigrant from Africa, who enjoyed his job and was just promoted to supervisor. He spoke fluent French, and was really happy to be working at Home Depot.

Some of the people who ran out the front of the store ran into other businesses for safety.

Near the door entrance, an SUV parked on the street was taped off by investigators, likely belonging to the suspect.

About 70 employees were in the store. No one else was injured.

(Some information from the Associated Press.)
Copyright © 2020 WABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.