BROOKLYN, N.Y. (WABC) -- Three firefighters were injured when an underground service box exploded in Brooklyn Thursday night.
They were responding to a fire in an underground service box at 1285 Broadway in Bushwick Thursday night. Broadway remained closed in the area between Greene and Gates Friday morning.
One of the firefighters was hit by the cover to the service box. He was taken Kings County Hospital with a police escort. Two others sustained minor injuries.
None of the injuries are considered non-life threatening.
One hundred people lost power. An emergency Con Edison crew was on the scene.
Salty runoff from the street seeping into the ground electrical wiring ignited the explosion. Several manholes in the area have been smoking and the fire started beneath one.
3 firefighters injured in underground service box explosion in Brooklyn
More TOP STORIES News