Lord Kinard, 76, and his 71-year-old wife, Octavia, died in the two-alarm fire on East 49th Street in East Flatbush.
According to the FDNY, the cause was electrical and the home did not have any have smoke detectors.
The fire, which was off Church Avenue, was reported around 5:45 a.m. The building was all residential.
Neighbors tried to get the couple out but could not save them.
The FDNY said three injured people were taken to New York Cornell Hospital and Kings County hospital. The Kinards were pronounced dead at the scene.
The fire was reported under control at 6:15 a.m.
Twenty-five pieces of fire apparatus and 106 firefighters responded.
Sunday morning, Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams was joined by the FDNY and a licensed electrician to hand out smoke alarms and demonstrated the proper use of extension cords in the wake of the fire.