EAST WILLIAMSBURG, Brooklyn (WABC) -- A man was stabbed in his hands during an altercation on a bus in the Bronx Wednesday morning, the latest in the disturbing string of knife attacks across New York City.
The incident happened in the Tremont section around 10:50 a.m., when the 19-year-old victim was stabbed on the BX2 at East 181 Street and Grand Concourse.
Authorities say he was involved in a verbal dispute with two men, one of whom slashed his left hand and right wrist. The bus driver closed all doors to box the suspects in inside, but the man fled through the rear emergency window and ran away on foot eastbound on East 181st Street.
The victim was taken to St. Barnabas Hospital in stable condition.
Meanwhile, there were three other slashings and stabbings in the Bronx and Brooklyn overnight.
In the first incident, a 33-year-old man was stabbed on a southbound M train in Brooklyn at 11:15 p.m. Tuesday. He had gotten into an argument with a homeless man over 50 cents, and that's when police say the homeless man took out a pocketknife. The victim got off at the Myrtle Avenue Station at Broadway and Myrtle in East Williamsburg and walked to Woodhull Hospital with two puncture wounds to the neck.
Then, just after 2 a.m., police spotted the suspect riding the M subway. Miguel Collado, 27, was arrested and is charged with assault. He has 14 prior arrests, and detectives say he had blood on his hands.
In an unrelated attack around 2 a.m. Wednesday, police say a man was slashed during an argument inside his apartment on East 139th Street in the Mott Haven section of the Bronx. The victim had a laceration to the face.
In the third incident, an 18-year-old man was slashed in the face in the 300 block of Autumn Avenue in East New York, Brooklyn, around 10:30 p.m. Tuesday. Police say he was approached by a woman and a man, and when the woman distracted him, the man attacked from behind. The victim is stable at Jamaica Hospital. There was no robbery and no known motive.
Stabbings and slashings in the city are up just over 20 percent from last year. Mayor Bill de Blasio said it's important to remember that only 1 percent of these situations are random.
"What has really gripped New Yorkers is 'could it be randomly something that happens to me?'" he said. "Thank God the answer is it's very, very rare. And in the few cases it's happened, most of those folks have already been caught."
There has been a recent series of slashing incidents across the city. Here is information about the others:
* 2/22 | Harlem, Manhattan | Woman slashed in face during robbery
* 2/21 | Williamsbridge, Bronx | NYPD officer slahsed while responding to fight
* 2/21 | Morrisania, Bronx | Man slashed in face while walking on street
* 2/18 | SoHo, Manhattan | Man slashed in face during attempted robbery
* 2/17 | Greenwich Village, Manhattan | Server needs 120 stitches after slashing
* 2/16 | Washington Heights, Manhattan | Cab driver slashed in face during fare dispute
* 2/12 | Van Nest, Bronx | 20-year-old woman robbed, slashed while walking home
* 2/7 | East Tremont, Bronx | Man slashed in cheek after dispute at subway station
* 2/2 | Williamsburg, Brooklyn | 18-year-old slashed while walking home
* 2/2 | Parkchester, Bronx | 65-year-old businessman slashed during robbery
* 2/2 | Harlem, Manhattan | Man slashed in face during attempted robbery
* 1/31 | Harlem, Manhattan | Man slashed during attempted robbery on C train
* 1/25 | NoHo, Manhattan | 71-year-old woman slashed while riding D train
* 1/16 | East Village, Manhattan | 30-year-old man slashed while walking down the street
* 1/14 | East Tremont, Bronx | Man gets 100+ stitches after slashing attack
* 1/6 | Chelsea, Manhattan | 24-year-old woman slashed while walking to work
* 12/30 | East Side, Manhattan | Employee, customer slashed inside McDonald's
* 12/16 | Crown Heights, Brooklyn | Man slashed in the face coming out of subway station
* 12/16 | Whitestone, Queens | 16-year-old exchange student slashed in throat
* 11/5 | Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn | 2 slashed in head aboard C train
Man slashed during fight on Bronx bus; 4th knife attack in less than 24 hours
More TOP STORIES News