Philadelphia-area officer released from hospital to cheering crowd after being shot 7 times

FOLCROFT, Pennsylvania -- Wounded Folcroft Police Officer Christopher Dorman was released from Penn Presbyterian Medical Center in Philadelphia Monday, just three days after being shot seven times.

Dorman, wearing a red, white and blue cap and shirt, was rolled in his wheelchair past a line of dozens and dozens of fellow law enforcement officers who turned out to show their support.

They saluted as he arrived at a waiting police SUV and was taken by police and fire escort to the Folcroft Fire Co. fire house, where he addressed the media and the public.

"I'd like to say 'Thank you' to everybody for being there for me and my family - and my fellow brothers in blue for this," Dorman told the fire house gathering. "And everybody's supporting me a lot, and I really appreciate it."

In response, someone at the fire house shouted, "We love you, Chris!" and the room erupted in cheers.
EMBED More News Videos

Wounded Folcroft Officer Chris Dorman speaks to the media after being released from the hospital.

It wasn't the first time Dorman spoke publicly since his ordeal.

Dorman released exclusive video Saturday to our sister station, WPVI, to thank those who saved his life.

"I'd like to thank all the police, paramedics and doctors, and hey Kenny, don't forget me," said Dorman from his hospital bed.

On social media, he's being hailed a hero and #DelcoLegend has taken off in part because of Dorman's Delco tattoo.

The 25-year-old police officer was planning to attend the Kenny Chesney concert Saturday night in South Philadelphia, but instead spent it continuing to recover from his injuries sustained in Friday morning's shooting.

It turned out, however, Chesney heard about Dorman and made a point to acknowledge him during his performance.

But in video obtained by WPVI, the country superstar mistakenly told the crowd that Dorman passed away.

Chesney called Dorman Sunday to apologize and offered to take him to a football game "to get some beers."

The man who allegedly shot Officer Dorman, and opened fire on a second officer, has been charged.

The suspect is identified as Donte Brooks Island, aka Abdul Wahi. He is charged with two counts of attempted murder, two counts of aggravated assault and related offenses.

EMBED More News Videos

Action News was there Friday as Donte Brooks Island, a suspect in the shooting of a Folcroft police officer, was escorted to a patrol car to be taken to his arraignment.

Island was escorted to a patrol car Friday to be taken to his arraignment. He is being held on $1 million bail.

Island had been recently released from prison after serving time for drug and firearms violations, District Attorney Jack Whelan said. null
Copyright © 2019 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.