MELROSE, Bronx (WABC) -- A basement fire knocked out power to a NYCHA complex in the Bronx Wednesday.
Six 16-story residential buildings at the Andrew Jackson Houses on Park Avenue in the Melrose section were left in the dark. The power was restored at three of the six buildings by Thursday morning.
Residents were without electricity, water and elevators.
Many waited outside in the heat, unable to get to their apartments on higher floors.
NYCHA is working to have generators operating and expects to have service up and running before morning, according to a spokesperson.
Cooling centers are open for residents, and staff are onsite providing assistance.
The Red Cross is at the location providing services for residents.
The source of the fire was a transformer in the basement of 3080 Park Avenue.
* More Bronx news
* Send us a news tip
* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts
* Follow us on YouTube
Power outage at NYCHA complex in the Bronx after basement fire
More TOP STORIES News