Woman killed after bathroom appliance malfunctions in Queens, creating carbon monoxide leak

FLUSHING, Queens (WABC) -- A woman is dead after a carbon monoxide leak in her Queens apartment.

Police say the woman was found unconscious Tuesday night in the building on Leavitt Street in Flushing.

Other residents were temporarily evacuated and the building was vented.

The woman was rushed to Flushing Hospital but was pronounced dead.

The leak was traced to a faulty water heater in the woman's apartment, and is under investigation.

Fire officials say smoke and carbon monoxide alarms were present but not operational.

No other apartments or residents were affected, the utility said.

It's not yet known what caused the appliance to malfunction.

MORE NEWS | Search underway for missing Drew University student in NJ
EMBED More News Videos

Authorities are searching for a missing Drew University student last seen on the New Jersey campus a week ago.

MORE NEWS: Owner torched his Queens restaurant after COVID shutdown, investigators say
EMBED More News Videos

Investigators say 54-year-old Asif Raja set the fire in several locations inside his restaurant, but the sprinkler system knocked the flames down.

* More Queens news
* Send us a news tip
* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts
* Follow us on YouTube
Submit a News Tip
Copyright © 2021 WABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.