RALEIGH -- A Raleigh man is facing charges after he allegedly shoved an elementary school student off a Wake County Public School bus.
Narciso Rafael De Leon Alphonso is accused of pushing an 8-year-old child down the steps of the bus earlier this month.
The child's mother told ABC11 that the incident happened when the bus driver picked her son, who she said is shy, to do a head count on the bus while on the way to school, but he said no thank you.
The mother said the driver then grabbed her son by the back of his shirt and threw him down the stairs, which caused him to hit his head on the closed doors of the bus. She said her son now has a scar and a bump on his head.
Other students on the bus, including her two daughters who also ride the bus, all shared the same story, according to the woman.
She said the elementary school took a picture of her son, then sent him to class, and did not call her about the incident.
According to arrest warrants, the incident happened on Aug. 14. Alphonso, 55, has been charged with assault on a child under 12. He has since been released on bond.
It is unclear if he still works for Wake County Schools.