NYPD wants to talk to Matt Barnes regarding alleged assault

ByIan Begley ESPN logo
Monday, December 5, 2016

The New York City Police Department is looking to speak with Sacramento Kings forward Matt Barnes regarding an assault at a New York nightclub Monday morning, according to a police spokesperson.

Police say the alleged assault occurred at Avenue nightclub in Manhattan after the Kings' 106-98 road loss to the New York Knickson Sunday night.

The spokesperson didn't offer any details of the incident or the investigation, but TMZ reported that the alleged assault involved a man choking a woman.

A representative for Barnes told TMZ that Barnes was defending himself against a violent group.

Barnes took to Instagram to say there are "two sides to every story."

Kings center DeMarcus Cousins was also at the nightclub when the incident occurred.

"We do not believe a crime was committed and are hopeful no charges will be pressed," attorney Alex Spiro, who is representing both players, told ESPN.

Spiro said they are "cooperating fully with the authorities."

Teams typically fly to the site of their next game immediately after road games, but the Kings next play in Dallas on Wednesday, so the schedule didn't force them to leave New York on Sunday night.

"We have clear standards of conduct and behavior expected of the entire Kings organization -- on and off the court," the Kings said via statement Monday. "We are working with all parties involved to gather information in order to take any appropriate next steps."

The NYPD said they still haven't spoken with Barnes. They know he has left the city but are confident they will speak with him about the matter; the investigation remains open.

Barnes, a 13-year veteran who has incurred multiple disciplinary fines in his career, is averaging 7.5 points and 5.0 rebounds for the Kings (7-13) this season.

One of Barnes' recent suspensions was a two-game ban in October 2015 following an altercation with then-Knicks coach Derek Fisher. The altercation occurred at the home of Gloria Govan, Barnes' estranged wife, in Los Angeles. Barnes was suspended after a league investigation.