The State Attorney's office in Florida on Monday released surveillance video of suspended Florida State Seminoles quarterback De'Andre Johnson striking a woman at a bar two weeks ago.
Johnson, who has been suspended by the Seminoles, turned himself in last Tuesday and was released on a $500 bond amid accusations that he struck a 21-year-old woman in a bar last week.
The video shows Johnson and a woman entering a shoving match at a bar which escalates when the woman throws a punch at Johnson. Johnson then strikes the woman in the face and is seen exiting the frame of the video.
The woman, a Florida State student, suffered bruising near her left eye, swelling of the left cheek and upper lip, and a small cut near the bridge of her nose, according to court records.
Assistant state attorney Georgia Cappleman said last week that Johnson, from Jacksonville, Florida, is charged with misdemeanor battery. Cappleman said state attorney Willie Meggs will prosecute the case and that he made the decision to charge Johnson after reviewing video of the incident that was captured by security cameras inside the bar.
According to Meggs, Johnson was involved in an argument with the woman after she cut in front of him while they were waiting to order drinks at a bar near the FSU campus. Witnesses told police that the woman raised her arms and then Johnson grabbed them and punched her in the face. Meggs, however, said Johnson punched the woman in the nose. She still has a black eye, he said.
Johnson's family has retained prominent criminal defense and trial attorney Jose Baez, who is best known for successfully obtaining an acquittal in the Casey Anthony murder trial in Orlando.
"While it is clear from the video that De'Andre Johnson was not the initial aggressor, his family wants to take the lead in helping him learn and grow from this experience," Baez said in a statement Monday. "He is currently participating in community service, and faith-based programs focused on battered women, substance abuse, and the empowerment of children.
"De'Andre is extremely embarrassed by this situation and would like to express his heartfelt apologies to everyone, including those who were directly affected, Coach Fisher and his teammates, the entire Florida State University community, as well as his family and friends."
A Florida State spokesperson told ESPN.com that Johnson's status was unchanged
Johnson, who was named Florida's Mr. Football in 2014, was ranked the No. 7 dual-threat quarterback as a senior. The freshman isn't thought to be one of the main contenders for FSU's starting job this season.
Information from ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach contributed to this report.