Tiger Woods releases statement after DUI arrest

JUPITER, Florida -- Professional golfer Tiger Woods has been arrested for driving under the influence, according to police.

Jupiter police in Florida confirmed that Woods, 41, was arrested for DUI around 3 a.m. Monday on Military Trail, just south of Indian Creek Parkway.

He was booked at the Palm Beach County jail a few hours after his arrest and was released on his own recognizance at 9:50 a.m.

It's unclear if Woods tested positive for alcohol or drugs, or if anyone was in the vehicle with him.

Woods released a statement Monday night saying:

"I understand the severity of what I did and I take full responsibility for my actions.

I want the public to know that alcohol was not involved. What happened was an unexpected reaction to prescribed medications. I didn't realize the mix of medications had affected me so strongly.

I would like to apologize with all my heart to my family, friends and the fans. I expect more from myself too.

I will do everything in my power to ensure this never happens again.

I fully cooperated with law enforcement, and I would like to personally thank the representatives of the Jupiter Police Department and the Palm Beach County Sheriff's office for their professionalism."

Woods had fusion surgery on his back in April, which was his fourth surgery on his back since 2014.

"It has been just over a month since I underwent fusion surgery on my back, and it is hard to express how much better I feel. It was instant nerve relief. I haven't felt this good in years," Woods wrote in a May 24 blog post. "I could no longer live with the pain I had. We tried every possible non-surgical route and nothing worked. I had good days and bad days, but the pain was usually there, and I couldn't do much."

Woods continued by writing, "I want to say unequivocally, I want to play professional golf again."

He said his focus is rehab and doing what doctors tell him.
Copyright © 2019 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.