TIMELINE: Fatal shooting of NYPD detective during robbery in Queens

WABC logo
Wednesday, February 13, 2019

RICHMOND HILL, Queens (WABC) -- NYPD Detective Brian Simonsen, a 19-year veteran of the force, was killed by friendly fire during a robbery in Queens Tuesday night, and Sergeant Matthew Gorman was also struck by gunfire but is expected to survive.

Here is a timeline of events surrounding the shooting:

Around 6:00 p.m.:

Police said 27-year-old Christopher Ransom entered a T-Mobile in Richmond Hill, Queens, and ordered two employees to open the safe in the back. One of the clerks was able to get away and call 911.

Det. Simonsen and Sgt. Gorman received a dispatch about a gunpoint robbery at the T-Mobile. The dispatcher said a black man with a duffle bag had taken two employees to the back of the store. The dispatcher then said a source told police that the man had a black handgun.

Fewer than three minutes later, the officers arrived on the scene and approached the back of the store.

The suspect allegedly emerged from the back of the store and started walking toward the officers while pointing an imitation gun, police said. As the officers moved out of the store, the suspect allegedly moved toward the front door and held up the firearm.

Soon after, gunfire erupted. "Shots fired! Shots fired!" an officer repeatedly shouted to the dispatcher. Seven officers fired a total of 42 shots.

Two minutes later, officers indicated that officers were en route to Jamaica Hospital.

Two minutes after that, police then indicated that the suspect was shot and wounded inside the T-Mobile store. Around the same time, the injured officers arrived at the hospital.

Shortly afterward, the suspect was apprehended and in police custody.

Around 7:10 p.m.: abc7NY learns that two officers were shot.

Around 7:30 p.m.: Mayor Bill de Blasio arrives at Jamaica Hospital.

7:50 p.m.: abc7NY learns that one officer had died from his gunshot wounds.

10:32 p.m.: NYPD Police Commissioner James O'Neill tweeted that Det. Simonsen died from his injuries.

Around 10:45 p.m.: Police announce that the officers were shot by friendly fire and report that a fake gun was recovered from the scene.

11:20 p.m.: abc7NY learns that the suspect is Ransom.


* More Queens news

* Send us a news tip

* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts

* Follow us on YouTube