FLATBUSH, Brooklyn (WABC) --A faulty electrical outlet is being blamed for a fire in Brooklyn that left at least nine people injured and several others homeless Thursday night.
It began in a third-floor unit inside a seven-story building on East 26th Street in Flatbush around 9:30 p.m., and arriving firefighters had to rush into the burning building to rescue residents trapped inside.
"It was scary," resident Diana Ramos said. "We saw the smoke coming up from the third building, and we got out. Then we saw people jump from the building, and paramedics were trying to give CPR to the adults who jumped. One of them was bleeding a lot, so I feel bad for the families."
On Friday, the hero firefighters described how they got everyone out safely.
Click the video player above to hear what they had to say in Rob Nelson's report.