• BREAKING NEWS LIVE: Danone Nations Cup from Red Bull Arena- watch it here!

Suspect surrenders after nearly 36-hour standoff in Trenton, New Jersey

EMBED </>More Videos

Sade Baderinwa has the latest details.

A wanted sex offender who held police at bay for 35 hours finally surrendered peacefully on Thursday evening in Trenton, New Jersey.

The suspect, 35-year-old Tyleeb Reese, called police around 4:40 p.m. to say he was ready to surrender. He came out of his apartment building with his hands up a short time later.

Action News has learned Reese is a convicted sex offender and was being sought for a Megan's Law violation.

"There were no injuries to the suspect or law enforcement," Tpr. Lawrence Peele of New Jersey State Police said at a news conference after the surrender.

"I just seen the guy coming out of the house with his hands up, and he surrendered. He laid flat on the ground. It was a peaceful surrender. I'm glad he came out safe, I'm glad he is safe," said witness Tedra McCrea.

Just an hour before the situation came to an end, police used a piece of heavy machinery, belonging to the Pennsylvania State Police and known as a "ROOK," to pick up vehicles parked at the curb and moved them down the street.

Earlier in the day, police used military-style "sound cannons" to drive Reese out of the building, but to no avail.

On Thursday morning, police fired what they called "tactical munitions," and authorities were also heard speaking on bullhorns, trying to coax Reese to surrender.

In their communications, police told Reese there are medics on the scene. It was possible he suffered a leg injury.

This all began around 6:20 a.m. Wednesday in the 300 block of Centre Street.

That's where, police say, U.S. Marshals from the New York-New Jersey regional fugitive task force were trying to serve a warrant when Reese opened fire on them.

Three Mercer County Sheriff's officers suffered minor injuries.

A bystander who was shot on the street was killed in the incident. That victim was identified Thursday morning by the Mercer County Prosecutor's Office as 56-year-old Robert Powell, Jr. of Lamberton Street in Trenton.

"As the officers were backing out of the house, under fire, the suspect continued to fire, during which time an individual outside the residence was struck by gunfire and is deceased," said Lt. Stephen Varn of Trenton Police.

EMBED More News Videos

RAW VIDEO: The Action Cam was on the scene of a shooting and standoff in Trenton, New Jersey on May 10, 2017.

EMBED More News Videos

Watch Chopper 6 raw video in Trenton, NJ. There were reports of shots being fired at police.

Meanwhile, people who know the suspect said on Wednesday they had no explanation for Tyleeb Reese's actions. He was called "easy-going" and "a jokester."

"Everybody in the neighborhood knows him. He's kind to everybody. He's real good, friendly," said Talaya Johnson.
"In my shop he used to come in and get his haircut since he was a little kid," said retired barber George David. "I am really surprised, he's not that kind of fellow."

EMBED More News Videos

No progress on 2nd day of police standoff in Trenton. Nora Muchanic reports during Action News at Noon on May 11, 2017.

EMBED More News Videos

Trenton standoff enters Day 2: Katherine Scott reports during Action News at 6:30 a.m. on May 11, 2017.

EMBED More News Videos

Daylong standoff continues after fatal shooting in Trenton. Christie Ileta reports during Action News at 11 on May 10, 2017.

EMBED More News Videos

Person killed, 2 deputies hurt in Trenton, leading to standoff. Nora Muchanic reports during Action News at 4pm on May 10, 2017.

EMBED More News Videos

Person killed, 2 deputies hurt in Trenton; standoff underway. Nora Muchanic reports during Action News at 12:30 p.m. on May 10, 2017.

EMBED More News Videos

Police-involved shooting in Trenton: Tamala Edwards reports during Action News at 7:55 a.m. on May 10, 2017.

Related Topics:
new jersey newsshootingpolice-involved shootingTrenton
(Copyright ©2017 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments