Mayor de Blasio announces drop in traffic fatalities under Vision Zero program

EMBED </>More Videos

Ken Rosato reports on the decrease in traffic fatalities due to a new traffic safety program.

New York City ended the first six months of 2017 with the fewest traffic fatalities ever measured, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced Friday.

De Blasio said that under the Vision Zero program, the city had recorded 93 fatalities as of June 30th, the first time ever that fewer than 100 lives had been lost in such a period.

Vision Zero is the unprecedented effort to cut down on fatalities and to keep pedestrians, motorists and bicyclists safely moving together on city streets.

The full fiscal year ending June 30th recorded 210 fatalities, 31 fewer than the prior fiscal year according to the new report.

The reductions come as the city is increasing traffic enforcement against dangerous violations like speeding and redesigning a record number of streets to make them safer.

"No loss of life on our streets is acceptable, but under Vision Zero, we have seen continued and consistent progress, with traffic fatalities on the decline for three-and-a-half-years, strongly countering national trends," said Mayor de Blasio.

Related Topics:
trafficvision zeronew york city newsMayor Bill de BlasiotrafficNew York City
(Copyright ©2017 WABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments