Deadly Bronx fire ruled accident; no smoke alarms in apartment

EMBED </>More Videos

Dray Clark has the latest on the early morning fire that turned deadly in the Bronx. (WABC)

Investigators have determined that a fatal apartment fire in the Bronx was accidentally sparked by an electrical short.

The fire killed 78-year old Margaret Henry. The apartment did not have working smoke alarms.

The fire was reported at about 3:30 a.m. inside of 2874 Grand Concourse in the Bedford Park section.

Firefighters extinguished the fire, and found Henry unconscious and unresponsive in the kitchen of an apartment on the third floor.

She was pronounced dead at the scene.

Firefighters were hampered by freezing cold, high winds and icy streets. They were able to stop the blaze from spreading and had it under control within an hour.

No one else was injured.

Related Topics:
apartment firefire deathbronx newsBedford Park
(Copyright ©2017 WABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments