AIRMONT, New York (WABC) -- Police and firefighters responded to a call of carbon monoxide poisoning after a woman and her two teen daughters were found unconscious in their Airmont home.
The incident was reported on Bolger Lane around 11 a.m. on Tuesday.
Authorities say the husband and father of the victims, Assaad Gerges, left home at 5 a.m. and when he came back, he found his 54-year-old wife Michelle and 16 and 14-year-old daughters, Emily and Janet, unconscious.
All three victims were taken to Westchester Medical Center with carbon monoxide poisoning. One of the victims was later transferred to Jacobi Medical Center for further treatment.
A county official said high carbon monoxide readings were found in the basement of the home. When first responders arrived to the house, they said those levels were dangerously high.
Officials say the carbon monoxide level in the basement was 1100 parts per million and 400 parts per million in the bedroom level. Anything above 70 is considered bad.
Carbon monoxide is odorless and tasteless and can be fatal as it robs oxygen from the body. It can cause dizziness or vomiting and can be deadly if victims are asleep during exposure.
The conditions of the victims are unknown, but a friend of the family said they are responsive.
Investigators spent hours at the home trying to determine the source of the leak, but the cause remains under investigation.
* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts