3 found unconscious, homeowner charged at Great Neck underage drinking party

WABC logo
Wednesday, August 31, 2016
3 found unconscious at Great Neck party
Kristin Thorne has details on an underage drinking party at a home on Long Island.

GREAT NECK, New York (WABC) -- Three teenagers were found unconscious when police officers busted a massive house party on Long Island Tuesday night.

Nassau County police were called to the 9,800-square-foot multi-million-dollar home on Old Mill Road in Great Neck around 9:30 p.m.

Arriving officers found 400 people -- most of them underage -- partying and drinking alcohol.

Authorities say two 15-year-old boys and one 16-year-old girl were suffering from severe intoxication and had to be taken to the hospital for treatment.

The homeowner, identified as 53-year-old Adam Hutt, was given an appearance ticket for violating the Social Host Law. An attorney said the family believes the kids arrived drunk at their home and that there was no alcohol inside the house, and it was Hutt himself who called police.

"There was no one found in my house unconscious, that is a fact," Hutt's wife said. "Way down the driveway, people we don't know. That's all I'm going to say."

Neighbors reported a ruckus.

"There were tons of kids," area resident Peter Stone said. "My family has lived here 56 years, I've never seen anything like that."

Authorities said they were investigating how the party grew so large.

"We heard that some came from New Jersey, we heard that some came from Connecticut," Nassau police Detective Lieutenant Richard LeBrun said. "We're looking at which social media host they used to actually disseminate the information on this."

Marc Gann is the attorney for the Hutt family, and he said the party was a planned end-of-the-summer pool party for their oldest of five children.

"When my client saw the party getting out of control, he called the police," Gann said. "They needed help. They wanted to break it up. This is not what was intended."

Still, Hutt could spend a year in prison if he is found guilty.

"They had no intention of alcohol being there; they had actually taken all the alcohol out of their house because they wanted to make sure the kids weren't drinking," Gann said. "They had a list of kids who were going to come. They stayed home to monitor what was going on. They actually hired several security people to make sure the kids that came to the party were kids who were known to them, that they didn't have alcohol or drugs on them."

Hutt is due in court September 27.