3 hospitalized after eating mushrooms

August 29, 2008 4:21:16 PM PDT
New Jersey residents are being warned about the dangers of eating wild mushrooms. The New Jersey Poison Information and Education System says three people were hospitalized this week - one in critical condition - after they ate mushrooms growing on the lawn of their home in Franklin Township, Somerset County.

Agency spokesman Bruce Ruck said the victims - a mother, her daughter and son-in-law - are being treated for liver toxicity.

Ruck said the weather has been perfect for mushrooms to grow and that it's almost impossible to distinguish poisonous mushrooms from edible varieties.

He said recent immigrants who are used to picking wild mushrooms in their native countries may be especially at risk. The victims in the case this week are from India.

----
Click here for more New York and Tri-State News

Report a typo || Send a story idea || Send news photos/videos


Load Comments