30 displaced in AC rooming house fire

A firefighter helps an elderly man down a ladder to safety as crews worked to contain a blaze at an Atlantic City rooming house early Sunday morning.

August 29, 2010 2:40:56 PM PDT
A fast-moving rooming house fire in Atlantic City has displaced 30 residents, including several who were rescued by firefighters and neighbors.

No serious injuries were reported in the blaze, which broke out about 11:45 p.m. Saturday. But most residents were forced to flee with just the clothes they were wearing.

Moments before firefighters arrived, witnesses said a woman tossed two young children to safety from a second-floor window to someone on the street. She then jumped herself, sustaining minor injuries.

Firefighters also rescued an elderly man trapped in a third-floor room, while other residents guided their neighbors to safety through the smoke and flames.

Authorities say the fire started in a second-floor room, possibly from an overheated hot plate. But the investigation was ongoing Sunday morning.