29 hospitalized in carbon monoxide incidents in Bay Shore

WABC logo
Thursday, January 8, 2015

BAY SHORE (WABC) -- The cold temperatures gripping the area appear to have led to two separate cases of carbon monoxide poisoning on Long Island.

22 people at USA Industries on Wisconsin Court in Bay Shore were taken to area hospitals Thursday afternoon with symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure.

Officials say it appears kerosene space heaters were being used without proper ventilation. None of the injuries were said to be life-threatening.

Emergency workers also responded to another carbon monoxide call at a nearby USA Industries site on Candlewood Road in Bay Shore.

Seven people there were taken to the hospital, in another case of improperly used space heaters.