MIDWOOD, Brooklyn (WABC) -- A baby has died after he was apparently burned by steam from a radiator while he was sleeping in his room in a Brooklyn apartment.
Officials say it happened in a home on East 14th Street just after 6 a.m. Friday.
Darla Miles has more on this tragic story.
The victim's mother was feeding the child's sibling in another room at the time. When she opened the door, the room was filled with steam -- most likely topping 200 degrees.
The radiator appears to have malfunctioned and exploded in the victim's bedroom, spewing steam. Specifically, the part that connected the pipe feeding steam to the radiator became separated for unknown reasons, the Department of Buildings found. When inspectors turned the boiler on, the room once again filled with steam.
Officials say the child was taken to Maimonides Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.
The baby's parents were interviewed by police, but no criminality is expected.
In 2016, a similar case happened in the Bronx, and was at the time considered a freak accident when a steam radiator exploded and killed two young girls.
The Department of Buildings is conducting a full inspection of the building's boiler and boiler room. They have not yet inspected the radiator.
The department discovered a laundry room illegally constructed in the building's basement without DOB permits and violations were issued for Work Without a Permit and for Failure to Maintain the Building.