Celeste, H.E.R., Leslie Odom Jr., Laura Pausini, Daniel Pemberton, Molly Sandén and Diane Warren performed the five nominees for best original song during the Oscars pre-show this year, a departure from previous years when the songs were performed during the awards ceremony.
The songs were pre-taped and performed in full. They aired as part of "Oscars: Into the Spotlight" on ABC.
Four of the performances were pre-taped on the rooftop of the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures in Los Angeles, while the fifth performance was taped in Iceland.
This year's nominees for best original song were:
- "Fight For You" from "Judas and the Black Messiah" (Music by H.E.R. and Dernst Emile II; Lyric by H.E.R. and Tiara Thomas)
- "Hear My Voice" from "The Trial of the Chicago 7" (Music by Daniel Pemberton; Lyric by Daniel Pemberton and Celeste Waite)
- "Husavik" from "Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga" (Music and Lyric by Savan Kotecha, Fat Max Gsus and Rickard Gransson)
- "Io Si (Seen)" from "The Life Ahead (La Vita Davanti a Se)" (Music by Diane Warren; Lyric by Diane Warren and Laura Pausini)
- "Speak Now" from "One Night in Miami..." (Music and Lyric by Leslie Odom, Jr. and Sam Ashworth)
Ariana DeBose and Lil Rel Howery are hosting the "Into the Spotlight" pre-show, which included an appearance by DJ Tara. Colman Domingo and Andrew Rannells host "Oscars: After Dark" later in the evening following the award show.
"We've come up with some serious pre-game and post-game action to enhance our main event," Oscars producers said in a joint statement. "Our suggestion is just tune in for the whole shebang, otherwise you'll miss something really unexpected and fun."