SOUTHGATE, Michigan -- A mother rushed her daughter to the hospital after she says the toddler bit into a Wendy's cheeseburger and wound up with a mouthful of beef and glass.
Local Michigan station WXYZ reports the food chain is now issuing an apology in the case.
Vanessa Bisram brought her 3-year-old daughter to Wendy's after a good day at the dentist.
But that visit turned to tears after her daughter's first bite into the sandwich.
Bisram recalled, "You can't think of your baby and what could happen and the things you don't know that could happen...your mind just starts to race. She bit into her burger, we were eating inside, and her, she started to crunch this super loud crunch...that was not normal."
Bisram told WXYZ she panicked for a moment watching her daughter cry in pain.
"I was telling her, 'don't swallow, don't swallow, honey.'" As I was pulling her food out, I was pulling food out and blood out and I saw that I had particles of glass on my fingers."
Bisram says she called police right away, and then rushed her daughter to the hospital
Bisram said, "My only concern was for my daughter and how much glass she had ingested."
According to police report, the manager told officers glass was broken in the back where food is prepared. On Tuesday, Starboard Group, which owns the told local station WXYZ: "This is an extremely unfortunate accident and we quickly investigated, it appears a light bulb may have broken during maintenance activity in the restaurant."
Bisram says she wasn't contacted by corporate until today after we got involved, adding she's disappointed in this fast food restaurant. She said, "I hope to never go through anything like that again... and if you think having a celebratory little lunch at Wendy's wouldn't be such a nightmare."
Bisram says her daughter is now home and recovering. Wendy's tells us that they do wish her a speedy recovery. They also tell us that they are taking this incident very seriously, and they plan on staying in contact with the family.
Mom: My toddler's Wendy's burger was tainted with glass
More TOP STORIES News