Mets announce billionaire Steve Cohen has reached deal to buy team

ByEyewitness News WABC logo
Tuesday, September 15, 2020
Mets announce billionaire hedge fund manager has reached deal to buy team
(Previous story) Ryan Field has more on the new owner of the New York Mets.

FLUSHING, Queens (WABC) -- The New York Mets have announced that there has been an agreement reached for billionaire hedge fund manager Steve Cohen to buy the team.

The deal is reportedly worth $2.4 billion. This would make it the largest deal for a North American sports tem in history.

"I am excited to have reached an agreement with the Wilpon and Katz families to purchase the New York Mets," Cohen said in a statement.

Cohen will own 95 percent of the club, with the Wilpon and Katz families owning the remaining 5 percent. SNY is reportedly not part of the deal.

The transaction is subject to the approval of the MLB club owners.

Cohen grew up on Long Island, and is a lifelong Mets fan.

ALSO READ | Remembering Mets Hall-of-Famer Tom Seaver


* More Queens news

* Send us a news tip

* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts

* Follow us on YouTube

Submit a News Tip