Pieces of collapsed crane hauled away after TriBeCa collapse

TRIBECA, Manhattan (WABC) -- The crane that collapsed on Friday in TriBeCa has been carried away, but crews remain on the scene working to repair a water main and a gas line, as they try to reopen the street in time for the Monday commute.

At an afternoon news conference, Mayor Bill de Blasio said the investigation is continuing into what led to the accident, but it could be weeks before the cause is determined.

The mayor also announced a series of new policies to ensure crane safety, including requiring crawler cranes to go into safety mode whenever steady winds of at least 20 miles an hour or gusts of at least 30 miles an hour are forecast.

De Blasio also said the city will be requiring more sidewalk protection for pedestrians in areas where cranes are in operation.

The crane that came crashing down on North Street in TriBeCa was cut into 35 pieces that were hauled away on a flatbed truck, with the last piece removed about 4 a.m. Sunday.

The work had to be done so without compromising the collapsed crane's integrity, so investigators can examine it for clues.

"The main point is to cut them in locations that doesn't compromise the forensic engineering value," said Department of Buildings Commissioner Rick Chandler.

Investigators say the crane's movement recording computer has also been removed. The expectation is the data it stores will contribute a significant amount of information to inspectors, but officials warn it may only provide basic insight.

"I don't want to set expectations too high. It's not going to give wind speeds or actions of the operator of that matter," Chandler adds.

In the meantime, several buildings next to the site remain partially vacated, and about 75 residents will not have drinking water until next week.

RELATED: NewsCopter7 assesses the damage of the TriBeCa crane collapse:
EMBED More News Videos

NewsCopter7 over the scene of the crane collapse in TriBeCa.

"They will have to flush and coronate the lines. We will do two rounds of tests that take 24 hours to make sure they've been cleared of any bacterial contamination.

Residents who have been impacted are taking it all in stride.

"I think they did as far as I'm concerned a really good job, because it was something major, and they've been working nonstop, and they really made it work well for the magnitude of what happened in a very short period of time. The neighborhood is quickly recovering from it," says TriBeCa resident Lucia Baker.

Removing the crane, is also allowing inspectors to thoroughly check the water and gas lines that ruptured. The hope is for some normalcy by Monday, but there are no promises.

As for the victims of the collapse, all of those who were injured have now been released from the hospital.

Eyewitness News also learned that memorial plans have been set up for David Wichs, who was killed in the accident. On Sunday, family and friends remembered Wichs during a service at the Congregation Kehilath Jeshurun on East 85th Street.

Copyright © 2019 WABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.