INWOOD, Manhattan (WABC) -- A father and his three children were hurt in a fire early Sunday morning in Inwood apartment building.
The FDNY says the children are all in serious condition, but their father is in critical condition.
Flames broke out on the fifth floor of the Sherman Avenue building just after 1:30 a.m.
Officials say an e-bike sparked the flames and blocked the family from getting out to safety.
"I just heard you know a lot of noise. You know, the fireman was breaking window you know. People crying," said resident Jose Magarin.
The FDNY says the fire was electrical in nature, but in the apartment where the fire started, crews found many extension cords and lithium ion batteries -- some of them now sitting on the sidewalk, not to be used again.
Some residents say they had long complained to management about e-bikes being charged in the fifth floor hallway.
"I really thought this was going to happen," said Jeff Galaise.
Now the Red Cross is helping Galaise and his cat find a place to live.
Neigbors are praying for the fire victims and hope that people use caution when charging lithium ion batteries. Fire officials say it is beset to charge them when you are awake and monitoring them.