
COLTS NECK, New Jersey (WABC) -- A man convicted of killing his brother and his brother's family inside their Colts Neck home in 2018, one of the most shocking murder cases in New Jersey in recent years, is set to be sentenced Tuesday.
Paul Caneiro was found guilty of murdering his brother, Keith Caneiro; Keith's wife, Jennifer; and their two children, Jesse and Sophia.
In addition to the murder counts, Caneiro was also convicted of multiple other charges, including two counts of aggravated arson, possession of a firearm for an unlawful purpose, possession of a knife for an unlawful purpose, theft, misapplication of entrusted property and hindering his own apprehension.
The jury reached its verdict after just a few hours of deliberation earlier this year.
Authorities said Keith was found fatally shot outside his home. Inside, Jennifer and the couple's two children were found stabbed, with Jennifer also shot.
Prosecutors argued that after carrying out the killings, Caneiro set his own home on fire in Ocean Township in an attempt to cover up the crimes by destroying evidence and making it appear that he, too, was a victim.
Hours later, investigators connected him to the earlier killings at his brother's home, shifting the focus of the investigation squarely onto him.
Prosecutors said the motive was financial and tied to an alleged insurance fraud scheme. The brothers owned two businesses together in Asbury Park.
The defense attempted to raise reasonable doubt by arguing that investigators failed to fully examine another brother as a potential suspect.
Caneiro now faces the possibility of multiple life sentences without parole at his sentencing.
----------
* Get Eyewitness News Delivered
* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts
Have a breaking news tip or an idea for a story we should cover? Send it to Eyewitness News using the form below. If attaching a video or photo, terms of use apply.