WABC-TV is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Any organization providing employment information or referrals may ask to receive our postings. For more information, write to us at: WABC-TV, 7 Lincoln Square, New York, NY 10023, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2021 EEO Report
Vice President - News Director, WABC-TV
The VP - News Director is responsible for the news product across all platforms for the station as well as managing strategies and teams to develop content that connects with the community in a way that drives audience and revenue growth.
The VP - News Director is a key leader within the station, upholding our commitment to quality journalism and the communities we serve while driving modernization of the newsroom and maintaining a dynamic culture that embraces change and innovation.
This leader will work closely with the General Manager on the development of a clear vision for the future of our local business and will be effective in communicating, motivating and inspiring their team in executing that vision via hands-on leadership, optimism, strategic risk-taking and focused metrics of success. He or she will be an innovative thinker who, in partnership with the General Manager, can develop strategies that evolve the brand from not only being the place to go for breaking news, but also where consumers can expect to find localized high quality, high impact journalism and content.
The VP - News Director will work across ABC OTV with other News Directors and key leaders to drive collective growth and success.
- Lead the efforts and responsible for the development and implementation of a content strategy that attracts and engages audiences across platforms
- Directs and manages the overall newsroom operations to drive "ethical results" (meet or exceed KPIs) including established goals/objectives to help drive ratings, audience, video, and market share
- Oversee and evolve the brand to maximize its impact, relevancy and connection with local audiences.
- Lead a premium multi-platform news organization including a vast and diverse team of talent across various roles and disciplines
- Key partner with the General Sales leadership and sales teams in the ideation and development of content that aligns to the strategic goals in order to meet/exceed local advertising budgets/forecasts and monetize audiences across all platforms
- Continue to identify more effective and efficient approaches to operations and processes throughout the newsroom
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with community leaders as a key member of the stations' leadership team
- Seek out opportunities to contribute to the local market area for the betterment of the community
- Recruit, develop, and retain a strong team, including on-air talent; provide guidance and coaching to maximize their performance and accelerate their professional growth
- Champion data and analytics to drive multi-platform content, product and platform optimization as well as accountability across the newsroom
- Execute all corporate policies/objectives while maintaining the highest level of ethics and industry standards
- Establish and maintain an innovative and highly collaborative culture atmosphere that promotes novel idea generation, open communication, respect for others and excellence
- Create a diverse, collaborative, fun and stimulating work environment
- Collaborate with other parts of OTV and TWDC to advance the group's interests and leverage assets
- Grow and develop unified OTT strategies to create / aggregate content in to streaming platforms
- Drive business and partnership development efforts to drive modernization and further group goals
- Proven leadership experience within a newsroom at a medium or large DMA local broadcast station or other news organizations
- A participative leadership approach that fosters collaboration and innovation
- Ability to recognize, create and communicate priorities, strategies as well as market opportunities and challenges to drive growth and performance improvement
- Attention to detail, project management skills, and the ability to effectively lead and manage in a dynamic and challenging environment
- Strong written, verbal and presentation skills
- Understanding of FCC rules and regulations
- Experience working with unions and contract negotiations
- Understanding of marketing and audience development in a multi-platform environment
- Knowledge of the New York City/metro market
- Experience managing budgeting processes and strategic planning
Bachelor's degree in journalism, communication or related field or relevant equivalent experience
Assistant Director of Engineering
The WABC-TV Assistant Director of Engineering will be responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the Technology department, alongside the Assistant Director, Broadcast Technology, and under the direction of the Executive Director - Technology. This role includes the management of technology staff, planning and execution of technology projects, and overseeing all daily operations necessary to keep the station functioning. The ideal candidate's background will include a considerable amount of IT experience in addition to traditional Broadcast Engineering experience. The individual in this role is expected to originate quick and effective solutions to the challenges facing our operation and help drive the department and station toward the future of broadcast/IT operations. WABC a Walt Disney Television station, is the market leader in local news and is leading the way in the digital, non-linear/OTT spaces by consistently innovating and creating new ways to reach its audiences.
- Clearly communicate ideas, concepts, and plans to all technology staff
- Mentor and develop the staff to maximize everyone's potential
- Be proactive, constantly assessing how to improve operations of the department, all technical systems, and workflows used by news/production/creative staff
- Interface with other department heads and station staff, as necessary, to effectively represent the Technology department, its goals and initiatives
- Lead and assist in the planning, installation, configuration, and daily maintenance and troubleshooting of all Broadcast and IT systems
- Interface with third party vendors/support technicians and oversee their work, as necessary
- Lead, execute, and complete projects as directed
The ideal candidate must:
- Have previously demonstrated the ability to lead and manage a technical staff (IT/Engineering).
- Have the interpersonal and communications skills to communicate effectively within and outside the technology department
- Demonstrate superb organizational and time management skills.
- Possess strong engineering and problem-solving skills.
- Possess the IT and Networking knowledge necessary to support broadcast systems
- Be able to show a track record of previously executed projects from concept to completion.
- Be willing to expand their knowledge with trending broadcast industry concepts/technologies.
- 5+ years' experience leading technical teams
- Experience in a television/broadcast/media facility with streaming/OTT
- A degree in a technical related field, appropriate certifications, and/or equivalent experience.
WABC-TV is a 24/7 operation and the candidate will be required to work non-traditional shifts, weekends/holidays, and be willing to be on call and/or work extra hours as needed. Candidate should be able to lift and carry equipment as necessary.
To apply, go to:
WABC-TV is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
Executive Producer, Programming
WABC-TV, News York's number on station and the most watched station on the country, seeks an Executive Producer in the Programming Department. The EP, Programming, will responsible for all production aspects of non-news content from inception to distribution. This role includes managing both staff and temporary employees and scheduling both union and non-union employees to produce, shoot and edit in various locations throughout the NY DMA locations as well as in the station's studios. This role will be a liaison to other content creators throughout The Walt Disney Company and collaboration and will work daily with colleagues in News, Marketing, Graphics, Legal, Technology, PR and Sales to optimize the distribution monetization of material across all the company's platforms. There is also a heavy emphasis on working directly with station clients and partners.
- Create long and medium-form content for all WABC linear, digital and social platforms
- Research, interview, script and produce for formats ranging for studio, field and branded content
- Shoot and edit independently when needed
- Communicate across the station and the company
- Working knowledge of media servers, control rooms and live remotes is critical
- Strong knowledge shared digital video editing workflows and newsroom computer systems
- Excellent communication skills
- Proven ability to build, manage and lead a team
- Entertainment long-form producing
- Non-linear editing with Adobe Premiere or similar
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent education
- Bachelor's degree in Communications or Journalism
To apply: https://jobs.disneycareers.com/job/new-york/executive-producer-programming-wabc-tv/391/18549434
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.